5.29.2007

Why am I cranky today?

I can't figure out what is wrong with me this afternoon, but I am in a really bad mood. I don't know where it came from. I might know where part of it came from, I put up the magnolia pictures for "hard-hat constructive criticism" on the photography board I visit, which is what I want. The best way for me to get better aside from practicing is asking other people's opinions about my work. And it isn't that I am offended or hurt by what they said, more surprised. The ones they like are the ones I like the least, and my favorites they don't like at all. And that might just be a matter of style, but I guess I am not at the point yet where I can just be okay with that. It makes me question my taste, which it shouldn't, taste is subjective everyone is allowed to like different styles of things, it doesn't make your taste poor if no one else agrees with you. Right? I guess it just comes down to the fact that while I love photography, I question if I really have any talent at it, or if all I will ever end up being is a technically proficient but not artistic or inventive photographer. I get the numbers part of it very easily, and I can certainly follow rules about composition, but what if I don't have an "eye" for it? I have never considered myself artistic or creative, I know that in our family Val got that, I got the skills at math and science, which generally I am grateful for, they pay better, but part of me wishes I had the confidence in my artistic side that I do in my math/science side. And I wonder if an engineer can be a really good photographer. Keep in mind, I don't want to go professional with photography. But I do want to take pictures that people admire, and would like to look at on a regular basis.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...